The first thing you will notice when you set up 1Blocker X on an iOS device is its 7 toggles in Safari’s Content Blocker section of the Settings app. It’s a bit of a head-scratcher at first until you realize that this is what allows 1Blocker X to expand beyond the confines of its predecessor.
You see, iOS limits the number of blocking rules that can be implemented by an app to 50,000. That’s a lot of rules, but sadly not enough given the amount of junk on the Internet these days. As a result, it’s a limit that 1Blocker began to run into not long after it launched in 2015.
Finding a way around that hard limit required a rewrite of 1Blocker from the ground up. The result is 1Blocker X, an app with around three times as many blocking rules, room to grow, and enhanced flexibility for applying those rules.
I don’t think I really needed to replace the content blocker I had been using, but it hadn’t been updated in a really long time, so I’m not sure it’s blocking rules are up-to-date.
Much of the work these things do is invisilble. It’s easy to see if ads are blocked, of course, but not so with trackers and malware, which I care more about. At home I also block ads at the DNS level using Pi-hole, running on an old Raspberry Pi. I heartily recommend setting up a Pi-hole (it’s easy; there are tutorials to follow). I miss having it when I’m out of the house, which is why a content blocker is helpful, too.
So far, 1Blocker X has been working just fine. I’ve noticed no decrease in speed from Safari, despite the crazy amount of blocking rules I have enabled.