I have spent many hours over the past week trying to do something that can’t really be done: replace the default iOS software keyboard with a custom picker view that also can become the first responder and respond to hardware keyboard shortcuts. I thought, earlier this evening, that I had given up my fancy implementation and was returning to something simple that I got working very quickly. Somehow, though, I went down another rabbit hole tonight and wasted the last hour.
Programming is fun, but so much of my time is wasted this way. Some of my best code get cut out of my app because, as elegant as it is, it just doesn’t work with the frameworks I’m building on.